Resolute Forest Products strives to be a good corporate citizen that supports the needs and interests of the communities where we operate and beyond. Our community contributions provide financial, human and material support, as well as in-kind staff time donated to non-profit or humanitarian organizations and countless volunteer hours undertaken by our civic-minded employees.
Areas of Funding
We have chosen two pillars of sustainable development as our priority areas for philanthropic contributions: social (community health and education) and environmental (community projects and education).
Humanitarian needs are supported through Centraide/United Way campaigns, and Resolute encourages site-specific and/or regional employee-led workplace campaigns.
Our support focuses on the needs of the geographic regions where we operate or have other strong relationships:
- Primarily, regional communities in which the company has operations, including paper mills, sawmills and woodlands operations
- Occasionally, key urban centers where Resolute has a major customer, investor or other relationship
Resolute does not favor multi-year, long-term commitments and does not provide support to projects benefiting only one person. Generally, we do not contribute to organizations funded by Centraide/United Way as we already support these organizations through a number of other initiatives.
If your organization meets our funding criteria and you would like to request a donation, please contact us at:
Resolute Forest Products
Corporate Communications, Sustainability and Government Affairs
111 Duke Street, Suite 5000
Montréal, Quebec H3C 2M1 Canada
Support of Communities
In 2015, our charitable contributions and sponsorships totaled approximately C$1 million.
Each facility is responsible for managing its own contributions budget, provided that 50% of the funded activities and organizations fall within the company’s strategic areas of funding. The following examples provide a snapshot of the range of organizations we supported across our operating communities:
- Employees at our corporate office raised over $20,000 for the Montreal Children’s Hospital Foundation, joining the Foundation’s Pedal for Kids event in support of important medical research and patient care.
- The annual Resolute Golf Tournament raised C$110,000 for equipment purchases for hospitals in Dolbeau-Mistassini and Roberval (Quebec).
- The company also donated C$10,000 to the Centre de la Petite Enfance de Mashteuiatsh, a First Nations child care center in Mashteuiatsh (Quebec), to support infrastructure upgrades that will benefit over 100 children.
- For over 21 years, employees at our Augusta (Georgia) newsprint mill have contributed to the Children’s Hospital of Georgia. Through payroll deductions, fundraisers and Board of Directors Safety Award program contributions, Resolute and its employees together have donated close to $28,000 to the hospital each year.
Facilities can also acquire additional funds to contribute to community organizations from our Board of Directors Safety Award, a safety incentive program that rewards operations that have worked a significant number of hours without a recordable injury. In 2015, these awards resulted in an additional C$324,000 donated to charities, including local families in need, the Canadian Kidney Foundation and the Ronald McDonald House.
Resolute also supports educational initiatives that provide local scholarships, work experience and exchanges, as well as promote environmental awareness:
- In 2014, Resolute partnered with Cégep de Saint-Félicien (Quebec) to offer five C$1,000 bursaries each year, along with one paid internship valued at C$8,000, geared toward students pursuing degrees in science, engineering or the applied sciences. In total, we have committed approximately C$65,000 to the school over five years.
- Fairmont (West Virginia): In 2015, the pulp mill expanded its paper recycling program to 11 schools and 15 businesses. In addition to reducing the mill’s costs, the program provides funding to participating schools for every ton collected. Over 1,500 tons of paper were collected in 2015, with revenues going to schools and local charities.
- Thunder Bay (Ontario): During the summer of 2015, the pulp and paper mill hired seven students as part of the Students Without Borders program, which encourages students to gain work experience in Canada as part of their post-secondary education.
- In 2015, we also renewed our sponsorship of Forces AVENIR, a Quebec program that recognizes students who are socially conscious, active and responsible citizens.
Employees Who Inspire
We are proud of the important contributions our employees make in their communities. Sharing our time and resources is part of being a good neighbor and helps ensure we have a positive impact on the lives of others. Here are just a few examples of community service provided by Resolute employees in 2015:
- Calhoun (Tennessee): The pulp and paper mill supports 100 Black Men of America, an organization dedicated to enhancing educational and economic opportunities for African-Americans.
- Catawba (South Carolina): Each year, the pulp and paper mill hosts the Resolute Reindeer Run, which benefits the Lancaster County Habitat for Humanity organization.
- Alma (Quebec): Paper mill employees collect money annually for the Guignolée, a local Christmas food drive for underprivileged families.