Resolute Forest Products strives to be a good corporate citizen that supports the needs and interests of the communities where we operate and beyond. Our community contributions provide financial, human and material support, as well as in-kind staff time donated to non-profit or humanitarian organizations and countless volunteer hours undertaken by our civic-minded employees.
Areas of Funding
We have chosen two pillars of sustainable development as our priority areas for philanthropic contributions: social (community health and education) and environmental (community projects and education).
Humanitarian needs are supported through Centraide/United Way campaigns, and Resolute encourages site-specific and/or regional employee-led workplace campaigns.
Our support focuses on the needs of the geographic regions where we operate or have other strong relationships:
- Primarily, regional communities in which the company has operations, including paper mills, sawmills and woodlands operations
- Occasionally, key urban centers where Resolute has a major customer, investor or other relationship
Resolute does not favor multi-year, long-term commitments and does not provide support to projects benefiting only one person. Generally, we do not contribute to organizations funded by Centraide/United Way as we already support these organizations through a number of other initiatives.
If your organization meets our funding criteria and you would like to request a donation, please contact us at:
Resolute Forest Products
Corporate Communications, Sustainability and Government Affairs
111 Robert-Bourassa Blvd., Suite 5000
Montreal, Quebec, H3C 2M1, Canada
Support of Communities
In 2016, Resolute committed to further integrate our community engagement programs to reinforce collaboration with a range of business and community partners. We launched a program to track employee volunteer hours and community outreach events at all of our operations in order to share best practices among facilities and to better understand how we contribute to the communities where we operate.
In 2016, our donations and sponsorships – at both the local and corporate levels – totaled over $1 million. Each facility is responsible for managing its own contributions budget, provided that 50% of the funded activities and organizations fall within the company’s strategic areas of funding. The following examples provide a snapshot of the range of organizations we supported across our operating communities:
- Resolute donated C$400,000 to the Domaine-du-Roy and Maria-Chapdelaine (Quebec) regional county municipalities under a five-year agreement to support economic development projects in the Lac-Saint-Jean region. The annual Resolute golf tournament also raised funds for the area, contributing C$105,000 for equipment purchases for the Leucan Cancer Foundation, the CSSS Domaine-du-Roy Foundation and the Maria-Chapdelaine Center Foundation.
- Our Coosa Pines (Alabama) pulp mill hosted its 22nd annual Log A Load for Kids golf tournament, raising $32,000 in support of the Children’s Hospital of Alabama CHIPS (Children’s Hospital Intervention and Prevention Services) program to assist with treatment of children who have been abused or neglected. To date, the Coosa Pines facility has raised over $400,000 for the program.
- Resolute sponsored a fundraising breakfast that raised a record $16,000 for local youth in need in Dolbeau-Mistassini (Quebec). Over 1,000 people were served by staff and students at Jean-Dolbeau High School, with all profits going to purchase clothing and food for disadvantaged students, as well as to address medical needs.
Facilities can also acquire additional funds to contribute to community organizations from our Board of Directors Safety Award, a safety incentive program that rewards operations that have worked a significant number of hours without a recordable injury. In 2016, we donated nearly $190,000 to charitable and community organizations chosen by our employees, who contributed to the company’s outstanding safety performance.